MyoTech Dental Blog
Why is Oral Hygiene so Important???
Your teeth are the first step in the digestive process by helping you chew your food. Practicing good oral hygiene habits helps maintain lasting durability and function of your teeth. Poor habits can lead to cavities, tooth loss, and infected or inflamed gums, all of which hinder your ability to eat healthy foods.
Total Body Health
Science continues to find links between oral health and general health. For example:
- Women with gum disease have a greater chance of birthing premature babies.
- People with poor oral hygiene show an increased risk of developing heart disease.
- Infections of the mouth pose serious risks to other major body organs.
- Tooth pain, which causes problems chewing, can lead to intestinal failure, irritable bowel syndrome, and other digestive disorders.
- People with diabetes often have periodontal disease and are more likely to develop a more severe case than non-diabetics.
So what makes up good oral hygiene?
Good oral hygiene is everything you do to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums healthy, but doing this requires more than just brushing once a day. Daily oral hygiene should include:
- Flossing at least once daily
- Brushing thoroughly at least twice daily
- Using a waterpik to minimize the bacteria levels in your mouth
- Brushing your tongue once daily to remove bacteria and plaque
- Using mouthwash to freshen breath and kill germs
And don’t forget . . . you may care for your teeth daily, but your dentist cares for your teeth and bone structure long-term and can treat problem areas before they become more serious. A dental professional can also help you with how to improve your oral hygiene techniques between visits. It’s very important that you schedule your routine visits every six months or sooner if you have periodontal disease or notice any pain and/or discomfort in your mouth!
Contact Myotech Dental and Implant Center at 309-764-0008 to learn more about our routine dental cleanings and hygiene services.
Health & Wellness
MyoTech Dental And Integrative Health Center
1828 Avenue Of The Cities
Moline, IL 61265
Monday-Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday 7:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Phone - 309.764.0008
Fax - 309.764.0059
Need more information?
©1976-2019 MyoTech Dental & integrative Health. All Rights Reserved.